Wednesday 22 January 2014

Week 2: Anne Rice - Interview with a Vampire


Vampires



Reading this book I was less than enthused. I loved the movie so much and had heard a lot about the novel itself and I know Anne Rice is an amazing author, having read her Sleeping Beauty Trilogy in high school, but for some reason I couldn’t wrap my head around the book. I can see where this book contained all the classic elements of vampire lore. I found the characters to be very interesting and relatable with typical human emotions and internal struggles. I particularly took to Claudia’s story line because it was a thought-provoking notion on wanting to grow up but not being able to. Another very fascinating idea presented in the novel is “in the end is immortality worth it?” Although I didn’t take to this book I do see why many people liked it. I think it did a very good job in bringing out very mortal elements in immortal beings. I think it was an excellent representation of what vampires in the typical sense might have to endure. I really did find the book to be intriguing as an idea, I just wasn’t particularly fond of it as a whole, it was kind of slow and a bit of a boring read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment