Wednesday 2 April 2014

Week 11: Neal Stephenson - Snow Crash



Cyberpunk & Steampunk




My first impression of this book is that it reads like something a teenager would write about his kooky adventures as an unsung hero. I don’t mean that in a negative way, by any means, because I think it was intended to be read sort of like that. I think it gives off that vibe because of the severe lack of pronouns and also the fact that the protagonist of the story, “the deliverator” is amped up to be this superb hero despite the fact that pizza delivery boy isn’t the best of job descriptions. I think the fact that it’s written like that made the book all the more interesting to me. For one, it was grounded in a reality. I semi understood it and it was mildly humorous so it caught my attention, whereas most sci-fi novels don’t typically do that for me.  I enjoyed traipsing through this new found world and exploring the decline of cultures and societies and seeing how they rebuilt themselves, for instance Kong bucks because the inflation of the dollar was so profound, which kind of reminds me of the Bitcoin of today. I think it was an interesting take on the world if businesses were allowed to be on the same footing as government. All in all I would say it was a very clever novelization.  

No comments:

Post a Comment