Wednesday 16 April 2014

Week 13: Margaret Atwood - Oryx andCrake


Literary Speculation



The novel takes place in the distant future, where global warming has changed the Earth as we knew it. The concept of the world as we know it ending and starting a new seems so plausible and like it could happen at any moment. The way this book is set up was very intriguing. By starting in the middle of the story and working in back story and leading up to where they started kept it interesting. Throughout the whole book I was kept on the edge of my seat wondering how things got this way. I really felt like I was there with Jimmy experiencing what he was experiencing, trying to work through and understand what is happening and trying to understand how it all relates to his past. What I found most important was how introspective I became while reading about the human race and the damage that we have done to our planet. I find the different concepts and studies of humans as a whole and the problems with our species to be very interesting and this book definitely highlighted many concepts and ideas that I have thought about in the past and presented them in new ways.  I found that Oryx and Crake really pushes one to think about how how own futures could be. I thought that Oryx and Crake was an amazing read and a great look at a post-apocalyptic future.

No comments:

Post a Comment